Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I want to have a small heart quilt to display on my front porch to wish everyone who drives by a LOVELY 💕 holiday! As I started planning, my creative juices went crazy in all different directions. Then I thought, “Since I’m going crazy, why not a Crazy Quilt Heart quilt ?”!
I went to my fabric closet and took out this jelly roll called “Kissing Booth” that I bought on sale a few years back. PERFECT!
………………I took out different complimentary whites, but decided on just the plain white. I'm glad I did:). I sewed and cut and ended up with a Victorian romantic style heart that I absolutely LOVE ❤️💕
I had fun using those rarely used decorative stitches on my machine too!
Would you like to make a Crazy Quilt Heart? It’s easy! Here’s how:
Fabric:One jelly roll
- Light and dark Complimentary background fabric.
- Fusible interfacing
- Sew four sets of three strips together.
- Cut them into crazy, wonky pieces.
So far so easy, right? Now the next part may seem a bit tricky, but don’t fuss or worry. It’s your sewing room and there are no rules in Crazy quilting so relax and just go with it:)
- Grab two of the pieces you just cut, pick different shaped ones, and sew them back together at odd angles. Don’t worry about the tops and bottoms matching. Just sew.
- Press the open
- Sew these odd sized pieces together. You may need to straighten a side or two as you go, but no worries.
- Cut and sew, press, cut, and sew!
You will end up with a large piece of Crazy fabric that looks like this–
SWEET!!! Now it is time to make our hearts.
- Out of paper, draw and cut out two different sized hearts. Cut one 5.5″ heart and one 4.5″ Heart. They don’t have to be exactly those sizes, just cut them close.
- Trace the hearts onto the non-sticky side of your fusible interfacing. I drew 31 small and 31 large
- Cut these out making sure to leave at least 1/4″ all around the marking.
- Place your small interfacing heart onto your crazy fabric with the sticky side touching the right side of the fabric.
- Sew on the line
- Cut the heart out with a 1/4″ seam allowance
- Clip at the top of the heart in the center making sure not to clip the sewing thread
- Clip an opening in the back interfacing
- Carefully turn the heart inside out.
- Done! Now repeat this with the large hearts and the dark complimentary fabric.
- Cut your white fabric into 6.5″ squares
- Press your dark hearts to the center of the white fabric
- Press the small hearts to the center of the dark hearts. So pretty!!
Now it is time for the really fun part!
- Using the decorative stitches on your sewing machine, sew over the seams of your crazy quilt heart
- Use a button hole stitch to sew around the edges of the heart.
Finished! I am so happy with how they turned out:)❤️❤️❤️
I am using the rest of my jelly roll to make a bunch of nine patch squares as well so I can have a whole Valentines Day quilt
I’m excited to get it all sewn together and quilted to show you next week. Yea!!!
I am really so glad you stopped by today. I hope you have a LOVE-ly rest of your Day!