Well, Hello my friends! It is that time of year when the weather turns and thoughts of Christmas are right around the corner. A fun little Christmas tree block seems fitting doesn’t it?
So.. if you would like to try your hand at paper piecing, here is my pattern and tutorial. Here we go!
Christmas Paper Pieced 6.5” block–
*Print the above patterns making sure the square measures 1” . The thinner the paper the better.
*Cut the fabric as directed on the pattern
I like to have everything cut and ready to go. It takes the frustration right out:)
- Cut a square of brown larger than the tree trunk.
- Place it RIGHT side up on the BACK side of the paper. You could add a little dot of glue if needed to keep in place.
- Place a strip of the background over the brown and sew on the FRONT side of the pattern.
- Be sure to START and. STOP on the solid lines
- Fold along the NEXT sew line
- Trim the seam allowance to 1/4”
- Place the tree bottom over the first strips. Make sure that it will cover section 4 after sewn.
- Sew along the solid line.
- Fold up to make sure it covers with extra section 4.
- The last picture trim is actually after the sides are sewn down -sorry!
- Sew a strip to each side of the tree. Remember to sew on the FRONT side along the line. The strips sew all the way off the pattern.
- Now you can fold the paper and trim:)
- Repeat for the middle tree section
- Fold and Trim the top
- Fold and trim the side. Remember to fold on the NEXT sew line
- Your trim will make the angle for the smaller strip
- Continue adding the fabric to the back and sewing on the front.
Press and trim the block to 6.5”
Remove the paper and FINISHED! Yea!! That wasn’t hard at all:)
This year I was lucky enough to be a part of a block exchange group hosted by the wonderful Kate @talltalesfromchiconia. I chose a Christmas theme and am so glad I did. All of the blocks that my fellow quilters sent were and are amazing! I am going to call this quilt “Christmas All Around the World”.
I think the little 6.5” Christmas tree blocks and a few nine patches will be the perfect fillers for these great blocks:)
I hope you will give this little block a try and let me know what you think. I always welcome your comments!
PS- I have been gone from the blogging world these past few months due to an illness of which we are still not completely sure of. I am glad to be back though. and hope that my health will continue to improve. Thank you to those who have reached out and sent me your prayers of love and concern❤️❤️