My dear friend Kathleen, designed a bib for her grandchildren a while back that really is the world greatest bib. It can be made with plain wash cloths or decorative embroidery can be added to give it a bit of personality. I opted to make mine with embroidery, but really, they are cute cute cute without any embroidery at all.
The button closure on the back, keeps it on and in place. Her grandchildren wear it front ways for a bib and back ways for a Superman cape! Lol:)
All it takes is two wash cloths, a button, scrap fabric, and a small piece of elastic. Easy easy! Here we go!
- 2 large wash cloths
- 3” elastic 1/4” wide
- 1large button
- Matching scrap fabric for binding edges
1. Gather two wash cloths matching or coordinated. (I bought multiple to make several)
If you are going to embroider, now is the time. I used some cute food embroidery designs:)
2. Cut one wash cloth in half diagonally. These are the sleeves.
3. Measure and mark 4” up on diagonal sides .
4. Stitch sleeves to front as shown using a zig zag stitch and stopping at the 4” mark.
Here is a close up of the stitching
5. Mark a 4” circle on your bib. It looks a little like a “Pac-Man”. You can use a large cup or other circle to trace around.
6. Cut the circle out and choose your binding fabric.
7. Cut your binding fabric into 1.5” strips about 16” long. These are best if cut on the bias, but straight along the width of fabric will work
8. Press one side of the binding strip over 1/4”
9. Sew binding to raw edges. Fold binding over on neck edge before you fold over to sew down to make a finished end. As shown in the last picture above.
10. Fold the “angel wing“ sleeves on top of themselves right sides together and sew across from the end of the stitching to the edge of the sleeve as shown.
11. Trim the excess cloth away
12. Finish the edge with a zig zag stitch or a serger
13. Fold the elastic in half and sew it to the top back of the neck.
14. Sew the button to the opposite side and close
Turn the sleeves out and that’s it! Done:)!
Isn’t that the cutest thing?! And it is the cutest thing on the cutest girl ever!! She loves it❤️❤️
I hope you will make your own worlds greatest bib. Let me know if you do. I would love to hear about it.
I hope you have a super SWEET day! Please feel free to comment and follow along. You are always welcome here!❤️
I am happy to be joining this scrappy project with Kate over at Tall Tales from Chiconia. If you have a moment, head on over and check out all of the creative fun!