I had the best week last week:). I was able to spend some time cruising with my son and daughter in law in celebration of their graduations. Yea!
We wish we had more time to spend there. If you ever get an opportunity to go here, definitely plan a full morning or afternoon.
Here is what we did, just in case you ever decide to go and need some ideas of what there is to do:
- Be sure to go to Diamonds International at all of the ports. There are one or two or three at each of them, If you go up to any worker and say you would like a charm, they will give you one and a free bracelet! Each store has a different charm. It is a fun treasure hunt:)
- Dolphins— definitely pass on this unless you pay to get in and actually swim with them. Our boat just puttered around the outside. –lame:(
- Starfish— also a bomb. Don’t waste your time here. There is just a bunch of sea grass and sand. No, no , no!
- Coral Reef–Snorkeling. Oh my, oh my, Yes! Yes! I have been diving in many many places and the clarity of water, the formation of coral, the colors and closeness to the top of the water is spectacular. All you need here is just a snorkel and fins and the beautiful Roatan water. This is GREAT!!:)
Belize— We prearranged a tour with Major Tom who was the originator of cave tubing and many other tourism sites in Belize. I highly recommend contacting him online and having him organize your shore excursions. He makes things happen and is so nice!
We went cave tubing and visited the Mayan ruins.
- Cave Tubing– I absolutely love, LOVE this excursion. We hiked for about 25-30min through the beautiful jungle. We bought a coconut to drink on the way, but we wish we would not have. It was awkward to carry the coconut, the tube, and hike. It was definitely not necessary. — The cave was AMAZING with brief moments of illuminating jungle views shining through the darkness. BEAUTIFUL!!
- Altun-Ha Mayan Ruins— The ruins are on the opposite side of the city from the caves. It is a long, windy, bumpy ride, but so so worth it. Major Tom bought us a delicious lunch of chicken and rice to eat in the van along the way. Yum! Although, a white tee shirt, greasy chicken, and a bumpy road don’t make the best of combinations, lol:). — The first view of the ruins is somewhat spirtual. They are large and grand. We had a wonderful time here. We were able to climb to the top of the largest ruin. It was spectacular!
- There is a lot of very good shopping right off of the ship. The prices were better here than out of the port area.
- The main thing to do here is dive and snorkel. I have been here numerous times and have yet to find that great dive spot. I know they must be there because I have heard others talk about them. I just haven’t found them. Next time I go, I am going to rent a 4wheeler and go to the other side of the island and go to the Chakunaab area. I hear there is great water over there…..if you go there, let me know. Plus, the drive should be fun:)
- We walked the Main Street and found a cozy little tide pool area to explore. It was relaxing, beautiful, and free! There is something to be said for that right?
Activities on the Ship– The Liberty of the Sea is not Royal Caribbean’s largest boat but it isn’t the smallest either. It is like a floating city with over 4,000 people aboard! I like the openness of the ship. It doesn’t feel tight or claustrophobic.
There are so many things to do on this ship.
- Rock climbing is always a fun thing to do on the ocean!
- How about knee boarding on the waves?
- And I had to use my cake decorating skills at the cupcake decorating class:)!
- There is also golf, multiple huge slides, kids water park, ice skating, pools, entertainment, and lots and lots of food! I must say though, I much prefer Carnival cruise line food. The dinner food was excellent, but the lunch selection here is all cafeteria style, and very much the same every day. So if food is your thing, go Carnival. But the Royal boat itself is much better:)
- And of course, any road trip or cruise would not be complete without some crochet or hand work:)! I brought along white yarn to crochet up a baby blessing afghan for my new grandson:)
We had a fantastic time. I just love spending time with my dear, SWEET family. Now I am home and starting that diet!!!