I am finally back to this cute quilt. It always seems like there is another quilt or project with a deadline that has pushed this one further and further back on my list. Well, the day has come and I am ready to sew!
All I have to do is sew these blocks together, lay them out, and I am done, right? Well, that was easier said than done. Just choosing the right roof for each house took a little planning, but not too much of a problem.
I started sewing away. Chaining all of these together took some time. Really, it took longer than I thought it would. There are a lot of houses here, over 100 of them! I’m glad I had my handy cutting gizmo:)
I just love how easy this makes separating chained pieces. I bought two of these because I like it so much, one for home and one for my quilting class bag.
Now it was on to what should have been the fun part, laying it all out. I can’t believe how tricky this was! The houses are set together in groups with small spacer pieces between them. Sounds easy enough right? Not!!
I would count and re-count, check the size of each spacer, and try to balance the color. In the end, I started sewing them together and the rows weren’t all the same size.
I unsewed one row three times, added more spacers, measured all of the rows again with a measuring tape and some were still off an inch or even two! I pinned, checked the pattern, and pinned! I never realized how much a seam matching quilt really helped in getting those edges right.
Well, to end my low session, I did finally get it all put together, but the top was and is about 2″ smaller than the bottom. That was it. The End. — I neatly folded it up, put it back in the box and wrote a note to myself saying what the problem was. I will fix this another day. There are times to just walk away, and this was one of those times!
I hope your day is an all high and SWEET day!