Who can sew a cute Zippered Pouch? You can! It’s easy:)! All it takes is a few small scraps, a zipper, and a few buttons. It is the perfect size to hold make up, sewing supplies, pencils, or many other goodies:)
Are you ready to join me? Here we go!
- (2) 4.5″ x 9″ rectangles for outside
- (2) 2.75″ x 9″ rectangles for accent on outside
- (1) 1.5″ pinked edged strip from lining fabric
- (2) 6.5″ x 9″ rectangles for lining
- (2) 1.5″ x 2″ rectangles for zipper stops
- (3) buttons
- (1) 9″ zipper
- Scrap batting
- Sew 4.5″and 2.75″ rectangles together.
- Press toward accent piece
- Place batting under each sewn piece
- Top stitch the edge of the accent piece along the fold
- Sew accent strip to edge of front fabric piece
- Trim the strip even to the edges
You are doing great!
- Cut the bottom of zipper to 8.5″
- Using a 1/2″ seam allowance Sew small rectangles to ends of the zipper. Back stitch tightly
- Fold open rectangles
- Trim side edges to the same width as your zipper.
- Trim length of zipper to 9″ making sure to trim from both ends so your zipper is centered.
- With right sides together, sew zipper to top piece of pouch
- With zipper still facing down, place lining piece on top and sew together along zipper edge
- Pull the front and lining pieces open
- Fold zipper toward lining
- Top stitch next to zipper on the front of pouch
- Repeat the last five steps for the back pieces of the pouch.
Now it is time to sew on the buttons:)
- Making sure to sew only the front of the pouch, NOT to the lining as well, center the buttons and sew them down. Hint: decorative thread looks nice here, but isn’t necessary
It’s looking good! Do you see how your tab pieces are sewn in nicely between the zipper and your pouch pieces? Great job:)!
- OPEN THE ZIPPER. This is important. If you don’t, you won’t be able to turn your pouch right side out after the next step.
- Pull right sides of pouch front together and right sides of lining pieces together. You may want to use pins here to hold on place.
- Starting at the center of the lining pieces, back stitch and sew around your pouch.
- Stop about 3″ from your starting point. Back stitch to secure your threads
- Reaching inside of the hole you created in the bottom of the lining, pull your pouch inside out.
- With your finger or a pointed object, push all of the corners out to crisp points.
- Fold the opening of the hole in the lining and sew it closed
- Push the lining inside of your pouch.
Go ahead and zip it up and admire your perfect zipper stops. SWEET!
Isn’t your pouch so pretty?! You deserve a big HOORAY!! Good for you:)!!
I think I am going to make up a few more of these and put them in my car to organize the clutter in my arm rest.
I am happy to be linking this scrappy zippered pouch up with Kate’s ScrappHappy June 😊❤️
Until next time,